Patient Access Specialist
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber
Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians,
innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the
common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases.
Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a
genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and
comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research
that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's
physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our
community; and we work with amazing partners, including other
Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.The Patient Access
Specialist reports to the Supervisor of Access Management and is
responsible for timely completion and accuracy of assigned daily
tasks. These functions include, but are not limited to collecting
demographic and insurance information, insurance eligibility and
benefit verification, obtaining referral and authorizations for
patients receiving care at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and its
partnering facilities, as applicable.
- Pre-Registers new patients by making/receiving patient calls;
Collects and accurately documents patient demographic, financial,
and other relevant personal information into the hospital
- Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits using automated
eligibility systems, payer websites and or calls the insurance
carriers during pre-registration; Works eligibility exception
reports to identify invalid insurance for patients and/or escalates
patients as needed for Financial Counselor intervention.
- Conducts registration interview with new patients prior to
their initial visit; Confirms, updates patient demographic,
financial, and other relevant personal information into the
and consent forms; General and PCMP are signed; Verifies patient
identification; Copies insurance cards; Confirms financial
clearance; Escalates patients as required to Financial
- Accurately explains how and why the patients should complete
the Healthcare Proxy form; Makes a copy the form for HIM.
- Supports Institute initiates such as patient itinerary, RTLS
badging, PCMP consenting, requests for copy of medical record.
- Updates changes to patient insurance and/or demographic
information as needed
- Manages referral and authorizations information as assigned
through daily work queues and documents activities into the
hospital information system; may require contacting physician
offices and/or payors for referrals and authorizations via phone
calls and/or websites
- Communicates regularly with physicians and other medical
providers regarding clinical clarifications for referrals and
authorizations, medical necessity requirements, and facilitating
conversations with different payers
- Documents daily activities in a timely, thorough, and accurate
manner into the hospital information system
- Completes assigned work queues, projects, and other duties as
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- 1-2 years of prior physician office or hospital registration or
billing experience required.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage and referral, authorization
- Knowledge of physician or hospital registration or billing
systems preferred; GE Centricity systems experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Office product suite.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both
written and verbal.
- Self starter with strong team player and leadership
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet pre-determined deadlines.
- Must be able to effectively multi-task, and have advanced
technical skills, as appropriate.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer
and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin,
sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry,
military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as
protected by law.
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brookline , Patient Access Specialist, Other , Brookline, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!