Intellectual Property Counsel - Transactions
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The Intellectual Property Counsel - Transactions has a strong
background of advising and representing clients in intellectual
property-related agreements in the healthcare or life sciences
industry. The role requires experience with intellectual property
licensing and familiarity with basic science research, academic
medicine, and/or (pre)clinical trials. As a member of the
Intellectual Property team within the Institute's full-service
legal department, the role works both collaboratively with and in
support of the Chief Intellectual Property Counsel and other senior
attorneys and independently to develop intellectual
property-related strategies and policies, guide internal clients
through difficult negotiations, and deliver innovative and
effective agreements on behalf of the Institute.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber
Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians,
innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the
common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases.
Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a
genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and
comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research
that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's
physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our
community; and we work with amazing partners, including other
Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
- Partner with internal business clients and the Office of
General Counsel to review and structure complex relationships and
transactions involving patent, copyright, trademark, know how,
publicity, and other intellectual property rights.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a full range of intellectual
property-related agreements (e.g., nondisclosures, technology
transfers, licenses, permissions, releases, distributions, royalty
monetizations, and dispute settlements).
- Engage with the Intellectual Property team and researchers who
are experts in their fields to understand new technologies and
- Collaborate closely with technology transfer professionals in
the Belfer Office for Dana-Farber Innovations to generate revenue
through intellectual property monetization.
- Advise on collaboration and partnership agreements (e.g., joint
developments, sponsored research, grants, gifts, and trials) with a
strong awareness of intellectual property risk.
- Prepare, opine on, and optimize template terms and agreements
for use by internal business clients.
- Provide legal training to internal business clients to help
them identify and navigate risks that may arise during the course
of doing business.
- Guide development of policies, platforms, and procedures for
new transactions and business models.
- Apply legal and business judgment to proposed deals,
relationships, and other issues requiring legal attention.
- Build and manage relationships with law firms, collaborating
institutions, and other external parties.
- May perform duties related to other special projects as
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervise support staff.
- J.D. with active bar membership in good standing required.
- Approximately 4-6 years of experience required, preferably in a
corporate legal department or large law firm.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated knowledge of intellectual property and contract
- Extensive experience in drafting and negotiating intellectual
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills, ability to
effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced
- Exceptional client service skills and professionalism,
including discretion, diplomacy, and sound judgment.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer
and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin,
sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry,
military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as
protected by law.
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brookline , Intellectual Property Counsel - Transactions, Other , Brookline, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!