Manager, Business Intelligence & Clinical Analytics
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: November 20, 2020
The Clinical Operations and Business Analytics (COBA) team at
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) is seeking a Manager of
Business Intelligence & Clinical Analytics.
This role is currently 100% remote and will switch back to office
environment when COVID-19 ramps down.
Residing within the Department of Informatics & Analytics under the
Chief Health Information Officer, the COBA team is part of a
strategic initiative to enable the transformation of data into
insights and actionable information for the research, operational,
clinical, and business departments across the Institute. The team
has access to an extraordinary range of healthcare data including
medical and pharmacy claims, enrollment, EMR (Epic), scheduling,
billing, referral, and laboratory results. Using this data, the
COBA team supports reporting, analytics, automation, and training
in areas such as patient care, quality and outcomes, operations,
and research and healthcare administration.
Each of the COBA Managers or Leads is responsible for managing and
building a team of up to 10 Business and Data Analysts in the
delivery of the analytics portfolio for a subset of the Institute s
business units. Reporting to the Senior Director of COBA, the
Manager collaborates with executive leaders to identify,
prioritize, and implement opportunities through the delivery of
analytics insights. This individual is responsible and accountable
for the timely and effective delivery of COBA program goals by
leading a prioritization process within each business area,
ensuring appropriate data stewardship, providing excellent customer
service, and designing and deploying effective training. This
position works closely with other COBA Leads to ensure coordination
and consistent deployment of the program. In addition, this
position will collaborate with other functions within the
Department of Informatics & Analytics, such as data science,
architecture, software engineering, and the DFCI Enterprise Data
Warehouse, in order to deliver high-value solutions.
The Mission, Vision, and Core Values of the Dana-Farber Cancer
Institute are incorporated into all areas of practice ensuring a
positive and collaborative work environment for all.
* Responsible for overall delivery of business intelligence
reporting and analytics solutions in at least four of the following
business areas (varying on the Lead s expertise and business
* Pharmacy, Radiation Oncology, Cell Therapies, Patient Reported
Data, Quality and Patient Safety, Nursing Quality, Palliative Care,
* Collaborates with key stakeholders in assigned business areas;
prioritizes area-specific informatics and analytics needs; develops
area-specific product roadmaps and project plans with milestones,
* Strategize with the Senior Director of COBA and the Chief
Strategy Officer to align to highest institutional priorities and
ensure appropriate prioritization of work across business
* Functions as internal subject-matter expert; point person for
executive leadership in addressing key business needs; translates
strategic and operational priorities through proactive analytics
* Manages across groups, departments and peers within the
organization to build consensus, execute on goals, and measure
* Responsible for overall success on a broad portfolio of projects;
allocates appropriate resources to meet project needs.
* Anticipates, identifies, manages, mitigates, and resolves risks
Supervision & People Management
* Manages & builds a team of 3-10 analysts, performing a spectrum
of roles from business analysis and data modeling, to visualization
development, training and communications.
* Oversees and delegates workload consistently across the team.
* Sets annual SMART goals, in conjunction with staff and
collaborating groups, for both individuals and team; reviews goals
regularly and adjusts as needed; performs annual performance
* Ensures employees have a professional development plan to enable
and support growth.
* Emphasizes the importance of maintaining a healthy work/ life
balance and promotes a culture of collaboration and engagement.
* Facilitates and executes COBA program workflows and processes
(assessment, documentation, security & access, and training).
* Leads relevant data stewardship and governance working groups
(for each business area) in order to develop processes for
standardizing data and building a strong community of practice.
* Builds the analytics community of practice by bringing together
and supporting business stewards, data stewards and dedicated
analysts to support business needs.
* Bachelor s degree in relevant field (finance, accounting,
business, science, technology, engineering, mathematics) required.
Advanced degree preferred.
* 7+ years of relevant professional experience, with at least 5
years of experience in business intelligence or analytics in a
* 5+ years of direct people management experience.
* Demonstrated experience using data and analytics to influence
strategic business decisions.
* Hands-on expertise in business intelligence reporting (Tableau,
Power BI, other) and querying techniques (SQL, SAS, STATA, other).
Tableau experience preferred.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to
communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
* Experience interacting with and supporting executive-level
* Ability to balance and prioritize multiple complex projects
concurrently from inception to completion.
* Knowledge of Epic and the Clarity data model for clinical highly
preferred. Knowledge of Epic reporting applications. Certifications
* Exercises substantial judgment, leadership and decision-making on
behalf of the COBA program.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Demonstrated experience analyzing complex situations and
processes and effectively integrating and synthesizing data to
achieve business outcomes.
* Proven leadership and management skills, as well as the ability
to work closely and effectively with all levels of the
* Exceptional planning, strategy, project management, negotiation,
analytic and organizational skills, with the demonstrated ability
to drive multiple projects to completion in a complex, deadline-
and consensus-driven environment with competing demands and
* Requires someone willing to roll-up her/his sleeves and get work
done either at a high-level to build consensus among leadership or
deep in the details of a particular report or data analysis. This
role will involve some hands-on work in addition to mentoring and
* Deals well with uncertainty and ambiguity; exhibits flexibility
and an agile approach.
* Self-motivated with ability to work both independently and
collaboratively on new and existing projects.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience managing sensitive data to maintain patient and
* Fluent in HIPAA.
* Maintains balance between attention to detail ensuring high
quality deliverables and the ability to operate from a broader
* Exceptional communication skills; must possess the ability to
converse effectively and comfortably, prepare proposals, analysis,
and other documents in a manner readily understood by a range of
* Demonstrates self-awareness, professionalism, a strong work ethic
and the ability to lead through challenging situations.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and
affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin,
sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age,
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brookline , Manager, Business Intelligence & Clinical Analytics, Healthcare , Brookline, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!